Daughter's Eulogy

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Toasty

 
The last time I was with mom she requested new socks. The elastic bands around most socks hurt her by stopping her circulation.  Mom’s feet have been swelling; sometimes they are worse than other times. Right now the swelling on her feet is down.

Recently, I went to several stores to try and find socks that would be comfortable for her. I had tried specialty pharmacies which had socks for people with Diabetes. The socks at the pharmacy did not look comfortable; in addition one pair of socks was $19.95.  Since mom needs several pairs, I thought that was not the answer.  

I finally found that Dr. Scholls makes Diabetic socks which are very soft. They look warm which would be wonderful because mom is always cold. The cost for these socks is $8.44 for two pairs. 


When I went to see mom yesterday, I had her try them on.  She loved them. She asked if made ones that were taller to keep her warmer and if they came in different colors.  I mentioned that they do make taller ones; however, the socks only come in black and white.    I assured her I would bring taller ones and black ones next time. Although she wanted to keep her new socks on, I told her we needed to bring them to the receptionist, Rosey, to have mom’s name put on them for laundry purposes as we do with everything we bring into The Community*.

So mom and I went for a walk to drop off her socks.  By taking her with me, she feels like we are running an errand together.  It makes her feel like she can do things herself again and that is my goal.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, you should be ashamed your mom is in a nursing home. With all the time you waste on this stupid blog you could have her at your home or hers taking care of her. Not shut away in a home. I took care of my mother and worked full time with 3 hours of sleep a day and much blood sweat and tears, $ and my time. If you took care of your mother what a nice way to spend the rest of her time here on earth instead of with strangers.

    ReplyDelete