Daughter's Eulogy

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Good to be 'Third'



Last Friday when Lori and I went to visit, Mom was so happy to see Lori.  Mom has not seen her for a few years since mom used to vacation with Ron and me in Marco Island.

As mom walked towards us, Lori said, “You are walking great.  You look wonderful. ”

“Thank you.  I’m trying.”

“My mom, Ruth, said to tell you ‘Hello’.  She reads Julienne’s blog to keep up with how you are doing.”

“Great!  Tell her I said Hello, too.”

Before heading towards the beauty shop, mom wanted to show Lori her bedroom.  She is quite proud of how her room is decorated even though she shares a room with two other women.  She has accepted that quite nicely.

As mom was talking with Lori, I was straightening out mom’s closet and drawers, as usual, color coordinating everything to make putting together mom’s outfits easier for the staff when they dress her each morning.

Mom’s was talking with Lori about the priority in which the staff attended to her needs this morning.  Normally when the aide comes to help wash and dress them each morning, Annie*, her roommate to mom’s right has always been first.  Annie* needs extra attention; so mom has accepted the fact that Annie* needs to be first and that she is second.  She has said to me in the past ‘At least I am not third’.

Mom said, “Guess what, Julienne?  Now I am third.”

“Why are you third?”

“Mary* is having some problems with her legs.” Mary* is mom’s roommate to the left of her bed.

Lori said, “Being third must mean you are the healthiest person in your room.  That’s good news for you.”

“I guess so.”

“Mom, you should be very proud of yourself. You are doing very well.”

Mom smiled at us both, “I never thought of it that way.”

Just goes to prove by teaching mom to look at her glass as half full, we can help mom see the positive in any situation.  Everyone, including me, can learn from our conversation.  Today Lori made mom feel great about being third.  I was sure glad Lori was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment