Daughter's Eulogy

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Hair Therapy




When mom goes to the hair salon for a wash and styling, the time we normally spend there is 30 minutes or less.  The benefit mom receives extends far from just having her hair done and looking good.  I consider our time another form of therapy.

Joanne and I always try to cheer mom up.  Some days are easier than others.  Last Friday, we really made a difference in mom’s mood.

When mom’s hair was finished I said, “Mom, did you see your hair in the mirror today?” 

“Why?”

“Your hair looks great . . . the best yet.”

She swerved her chair around to look into the mirror. “Yes, it looks nice,” shaking her head to acknowledge that she agreed.

“Joanne* does a beautiful job.  She keeps making your hair look better and better.”

As I took out my iphone to snap a picture, mom stated, “Here she goes again!”

“Mom, your hair looks so nice, I have to take a picture.” With that comment I snapped her photo.

“Gilda, your daughter thinks you look like a movie star.  She enjoys taking photos of you.”

Mom thought that was very humorous and started to laugh.  Fortunately, I was still clicking and this is the expression on mom’s face. 


When I showed mom her picture she questioned, “Is that me?”

"Of course, mom, who else would that be?"

“Julienne, that’s funny!”

No comments:

Post a Comment