Daughter's Eulogy

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pretty in Pink




Last week when I saw mom, I showed her I had a present for her.  I wanted to have her try on the new taller diabetic socks before I took off all the tags to ensure that she liked them. 
Once I put the socks on her feet mom said, “They’re really soft. The socks come much higher up on my leg.”

“Mom, I know when my feet feel warm, my whole body feels warmer.  I hope that works for you, too.”

“You bought pink ones.  I thought they only came in black and white?”


“Mom, you remembered what I told you last week, but when I went back to Walmart I noticed that they came in pink, too.  You mentioned that you would like other colors.  I know you love pink.”

“What will I wear them with?

“Wear your pink socks when you are dressed in one of your pink tops or your pink sweater.”

“Julienne, I don’t dress myself.  I can’t tell them which socks to put on me.”

“Mom, I think they will see them in your drawer and put them on you when they match your outfit.”

“I don’t know about that.”

When I removed her socks, mom stated, “You have to put my name on them so they know their mine.”

“Good job, mom, you’re right! I’ll bring them to Rosey* so she could make sure that the laundry department labels your socks.”

When I returned later that week, Mom had a huge smile on her face.  She was sitting in a chair and proceeded to lift her legs to show me that she was wearing her new pink socks.  She was dressed in her mock pink turtleneck and pink sweater.  Mom looks great in pink.

“Mom, you are wearing the pink socks.”

“Yes, I couldn’t wait to show you.”

“You look so fashionable.”

“They’re warm.  Thank you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment