Daughter's Eulogy

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Who Would Have Guessed


On our way out of The Community* Supportive Living last Friday, mom surprised me by what she said.

“You know, Julienne, you could get used to anything.”

“What do you mean, mom?”

“I like where I am living now better.”

“You do?”

“I am comfortable there.”

“Mom, that makes me happy.  You loved this building when you were here, too.”

“I know.  I like the other building better now.”

Just then one of the staff here walked by and as always was so glad to see mom.  Mom was glad to see them, too.

Then as we are walking out the foyer, two of her favorite staff people were talking to each other.  Happy to see mom they greeted her with:

‘Gilda, you got your hair done, looks nice, says Jillian.

“You look wonderful, my dear,” says Ilene*.

“Thank you.  I miss you guys.”

“We miss you too, Gilda.”

Mom has said a number of times that she loved living at the supportive living facility.  She had her own beautifully appointed one bedroom with a living room and kitchen.  She loved her room and the staff and they loved her.

Never could I of imagined that mom would say that she feels more comfortable where she lives right now.  Mom is currently in a three-bedded room; she never complains about being in her current room with two roommates.  I believe that mom feels safe and comfortable having staff who can care for her now because she knows she needs the help.

I have to wonder since she had gone to church Friday morning, if that is where she came to the realization that she is where she is supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment