Daughter's Eulogy

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Roast Beef and a Root Beer

Mom and I went out for lunch yesterday.  We split a Portillo’s roast beef sandwich.  As usual mom did not want to get out of the car so we went through the drive-thru; then we sat in the car and ate our meal. 

We both agreed the sandwich was delicious especially since we had not eaten there for quite some time.  Mom always drinks water, but today she enjoyed a root beer when I had told her that root beer was OK for her to drink.  She said she really loved it and drank the whole glass.

"I am sorry I missed the root beer float they served last night. Who knows when they will have that again?"

"Well, next time you'll know you can enjoy one."

Excitedly Mom said, “Jerome and Debbie were here on Sunday.  They told me that I look good.  Do I look good to you?”

“Mom, I think you look great.”

During lunch today mom mentioned that her good friend, Darlene*, is leaving The Community* and moving in with her sister. Mom did not know how much longer Darlene* would be there.

When I brought my mom back to The Community*, we first went to her room where I rubbed mom’s legs with Aveeno lotion.  Mom had complained that her legs had become scaly and itchy.

Mom had told me that her bed was uncomfortable last night so I remade her bed taking out all the wrinkles and folds. She seemed to be pleased with my attempt to make her more comfortable.

Then we walked down the hall and mom walked over to her lift chair.  She was tired and wanted to take a nap. 

 

I gave mom a big hug and a kiss.  “Mom, we had a great time today, didn’t we?”

“Yes, Julienne, we did a lot today.”

“Yes, we did, mom.”

“To think I didn’t want to go, but I am glad you made me . . . nice to get out.”

“Our roast beef sandwich was yummy.”

“Yes . . . always push me to go out with you.”

“I will, mom.”

“I prayed again today.  I prayed for my kids and the whole world; that covers everyone right?”

“You’re right, your prayer covers everyone.  I’m proud of you.”

“Julienne, I am honored you are my daughter.”

“Thank you.”   Overwhelmed by emotion I smiled and squeezed mom.  “I love you, mom.”

“I love you with my whole heart, Julienne.”

Just then, Darlene*, was being transported from the dining room to along the wall in the nurses’ station.  Darlene* can’t move her legs, so the nurses have to push her wheel chair.

Mom called, “Darlene*, I’m over here.”

Overhearing my mom’s banter, Shirley*, the activities director, then pushed Darlene* by mom.

Looking directly at me Darlene* said, “I am moving on Saturday to live with my sister.”

“Mom and I will miss you.”

Mom said, “Darlene, I’m going to really miss you.”

“I’ll miss you, too.”

“We hope you’ll be happy with your sister.”

“I hope I am not making a mistake moving out of here.  They told me I could come back if I want to.”

Mom said, “I hope you come back.”

As I said goodbye, mom blew kisses and I blew kisses back.  I felt sadness that mom is losing her good friend.  Mom has been so content in Darlene’s* company that I am very concerned how her friend leaving will affect her. 

The staff on mom’s floor knows that Darlene* and mom have a great relationship.  I hope that they are looking at trying to pare mom up with another lady with similar interests after Darlene* leaves. 

I pray that God will send a friend mom’s way.  We can only wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment