Daughter's Eulogy

Monday, July 30, 2012

What's in a Name?


Last Monday during my visit with mom, she said, “Do you think Jamie should change his name?”

“Mom, what brought this up?”

“I don’t think he likes his name. He thinks he’ll hurt my feelings.”

“Did he tell you that?”

“Years ago, Julienne, not now!”

“And you are remembering now?”

“What can I tell you?”

“Mom, what do you want him to change his name to?”

“Some lady said he could change it to James.”

“Who said that?”

“Some lady!”

“Many people we know have nicknames.”

“What’s nicknames?

“Names other people give someone.  Jerome is a good example.  He has many nicknames.”

“Like what?”

“Jerome has been called Jerry, Jay, Guido, and J-Rome by the cousins.”

“Guido?”

“Mom, that’s Jerome’s middle name.  Remember he was named after dad?”

“Julienne, I don’t remember.”

“Do you like your name?”

“I love my name, but I still have people who give me nicknames.  Some people call me Jules, Juge, Aunt JuJu, AJ, and Vivian still calls me Juliner.”

“I don’t remember that either.”

“That’s OK.  It’s not important.”

“Tell Jamie about you and Jerome.”

“He knows, mom.”

“Tell him I’m OK if he wants to change his name.”

“Mom, why don’t you tell him the next time you see him?”

“I’ll forget.”

“I’ll tell him, but I think he is going to think this conversation is funny.”

“Just tell him!”

Mom herself has had many names. She used to be called Jilda, Jill, and now she wants to be called Gilda which is her original name.

Mom has a lot of time to think right now; I am amazed at her thought process.  She is giving her blessing for Jamie to change his name. 

Does everybody need a nickname? I think not.  I have always loved his name, but then again “Everybody loves Jamie.”   Maybe he loves his name, too.  Either way, I found our conversation so interesting that mom brought up this subject out of the clear blue.  What other thoughts is mom pondering about?



No comments:

Post a Comment