Daughter's Eulogy

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Can't Buy Her Love

I now understand mom better. She did the best she could.  Mom did not have a great home life.  Her parents were alcoholics; they had an abusive relationship. Her childhood was so bad that mom to this day shies away from talking about when she was a child or a teenager. 

Several years ago when she was diagnosed clinically depressed, she went to therapy to treat her depression. Mom refused to talk about her past.  Her psychiatrist said we may not want to go there with her; having her relive her childhood memories may worsen her condition.  To this day, mom hates when people ask her questions about anything.  She thinks people who ask those questions are being too noisy.

Mom was very close with her mother, but she did not feel loved by her father.     Mom told me her father hated her and always ignored her. 

Mom resented the fact that I looked so much like my father and people were constantly pointing that out to her. She did not nor could not understand the wonderful relationship I had with my father. 

She thought each of her children had to pick sides either dads or hers.  Even in her earlier years, there was no reasoning with mom . . . everything was either ‘black or white’.  

She always thought a child could only love one parent so she felt threatened that I loved dad so much.  She thought there was not enough love for her, too.  She was wrong.  I never stopped loving mom. 

She treated me badly because of her perception. She downed me and never thought I was good enough.  I’ve heard the saying that there is a fine line between love and hate.  I always felt that I hated mom for the way she treated me, but I always sought after her love.   I wanted her to encourage and support me; to believe in me and to accept me for who I was.  She did not know how because she never received that kind of support from either of her parents.

After turning thirty and receiving a huge promotion to a Vice President status, my husband bought me a fur coat.  Mom was neither impressed nor proud of me.  She seemed to be jealous or angry at my success.

I convinced my husband that for mom’s birthday that we should buy her a fur coat, too.  This action still did not buy me her love.  She seemed to feel I owed her the fur coat because I was not the daughter she wanted.  The daughter she wanted would love her not my father. Since a child could not love both of her parents; I had been a huge disappointment to her.

Buying her a fur or several other beautiful things gave me no satisfaction. The more we did for her the more she felt I was paying her back for not loving her more than I loved my father. My heart ached that nothing I could do could please her.  As my actions were an attempt to win her approval and her affection, what I received was anything but her love.

As I grew older, I needed my mom’s love more than ever.  But instead of receiving that love, I felt more and more insecure.  I learned life lessons by making mistakes.

 I tried to make her proud of me by everything I was accomplishing in life . . . a great job, winning awards, sales contests, a loving husband, a beautiful home and wonderful friends.   None of these things seem to make her proud of me or what I had done with my life.

I share this part of my life because my relationship with mom now has changed dramatically. Does mom doubt my love today?  Not for a moment, she knows I love her with every bone in my body.  She does not understand how I could, but she knows that I do. 

She remembers how badly she treated me and has apologized.  She knows I would do anything for her and she is right. Although I never felt any love from her till these last few years, I really feel her love these last few months.  She has realized now that I always loved her. 

I love my mom more now than I ever loved her before.  I kept clinging to hope of having a mother who would love me in return.  Although both mom and I would have never wished for this stage of life for her; maybe this was the only way for both mom and me to have a good mother and daughter relationship.  I believe mom always wanted to feel my love for her and now she does.  She does not wonder today if I love my father.  She just knows I love her and she loves me back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment