Daughter's Eulogy

Monday, July 2, 2012

Fridays With Mom

Hard to believe, but I really look forward to taking my mom to the beauty shop each week.  Mom loves getting her hair done.  Amazing that no matter what age a woman may be ‘a woman is still a woman’ and some things never change like taking pride in your appearance. 

Even though mom may tell me when she first sees me that she is not having a good day, I know that I can make her day a better one.   I can see the transformation in her attitude and mannerisms after her hair is done.  Her confidence is lifted and so is her personality.  Her hands shake less and her mouth seems to tremble less when she drinks water. 

Maybe she becomes calmer because Joanne*, her beautician, is such a pleasant person and a good listener.  Mom knows that Joanne* truly cares about her.  After she gets her hair done, Mom loves seeing people.  They always tell her how terrific she looks.  Last Friday was no different.  Mom looked great when her hair was finished.

Several years ago I read the story Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom.  I love all of the books Mitch has written, but this book in particular is my favorite. 

I never thought in a million years that I would be able to care for anyone like he cared for Morrie especially my mom because our relationship growing up was anything but a good one.  Mom and I were at odds all our lives. 

God has given me the ability to forget our past and our differences.  He has given me patience and sure joy at knowing that I am making mom’s last stage of her life have as much dignity and happiness as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment