Daughter's Eulogy

Thursday, November 8, 2012

The ‘Light’ Gives Mom Peace


 

On Wednesday after lunch, mom and I went back upstairs to sit in our favorite recliners. Mom’s eyes were closing.  She was exhausted.

“Julienne, I’m weak.”

Delicately holding mom’s hands, “I know, mom, you walked a lot.  Close your eyes and rest; I will just sit here with you.”

Mom’s hands were ice cold.  I touched mom’s face which was ice cold.  Mom opened her eyes, “Julienne, your hands are so warm.”

“Mom your hands and face are so cold.” With that I placed both of my hands on mom’s face to warm her up. Mom was dressed warm; she had a turtleneck and a sweater on top.  

I hugged mom, “Mom, I wish I could make you more comfortable.”

When I released mom, she started to cry.  “Mom, why are you crying?”

“Some people . . . 97 and doing better”.

“Mom, I understand.  Everyone is different.  Our bodies get tired.  Do you want to live like this till you are 97?”

Mom shook her head no.

“Can I tell you a secret mom?”  Mom moved in closer to me.

“I don’t want to live to be 97 either.   

“Mom, there is a better place where everyone is happy and healthy. Many of our family and friends are in heaven.  Someday you and I will both be there together.”

Blank, mom’s hospice nurse saw mom crying and was watching us,  “Is everything OK?”

“Mom is ice cold.  Her hands and face feel like ice cubes.”

“Gilda are you in any pain?”  Mom nodded no.

“Don’t worry your mom is always cold; I think she is fine.”  I thanked her and she left.

“Mom, would you like to pray?”  Mom did not answer me; she just looked at me.

“Mom, I am going to start to pray the Our Father, if you can . . . join me or just listen.  We will ask God for His help and His guidance.  OK?”  Mom nodded that she was willing to participate.

As I would say a phrase, instead of mom repeating what I said, she would say the next sentence of the prayer.  I ended up repeating every sentence after mom said it. When we finished I hugged her tightly, “Mom you remembered perfectly.”

“Julienne, I wish I remembered yours and Ron’s special prayer.”

“OK, mom, I can help you with saying that prayer. I will say a phrase and you repeat it if you want to.”

“Mom is the Light”

Mom . . . Light

“The Light moves throughout mom”. 

“Light moves mom.”

“The Light protects mom.”

“Protects mom.”

“The Light gives mom peace.”

“Peace mom.”

“The Light is within mom.”

“Light within mom . . . Julienne . . . Ron . . . Jamie . . . Jerome . . . and my whole family.”

“Mom, you know that the Light is Jesus?”   She shook her head yes.

“Mom I will pray that prayer with you each time I am with you.  Try to just remember ‘The Light gives mom peace.”

“Light gives mom . . . peace.”


I felt like I could leave mom now, she seemed at peace. 

 I asked her now that she felt a little better if I could take another picture so she could see how nice she looked. I showed mom her latest photo. “Great photo, mom, you look beautiful.” She smiled and blew me kisses.
 
 

My goal is for mom and me not to be afraid of what’s next, but to ask God to guide us through our journey.

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful Julienne... I'm sitting here at my desk crying tears of joy...

    ReplyDelete