Daughter's Eulogy

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Beautiful Transition


Anyone in Chicago for Thanksgiving will attest that at 5:30pm that evening, the weather was anything but ideal.  The clouds had opened up and were raining on us.  Fortunately, there were not many cars on the road; most people were probably enjoying their Thanksgiving dinner, watching a football game, or sleeping from eating too much.

While trying to watch the road and drive, I kept talking with mom.

“Hey, mom, do you remember that Michael just won Scholastic Athlete of the week for the MAC Conference?”

“Oh, Julienne, you should have reminded me.  I forgot to tell him how proud of him I am.”

“Mom, Michael’s in the backseat.  You can tell him now.”

“Michael, Michael, Grandma is so proud of you.  You’re great!!!”

“Thanks, Grandma.”

“Michael, I am so lucky to have you as my Grandson.”

“Grandma, I feel the same way about you.  I am lucky to have you as my Grandma.”

 My heart was in my throat; my eyes flooded with tears.  What a beautiful gift Michael and mom gave each other.  A gift we will all cherish forever. I tried to refocus on driving.

Prior to leaving my home, I used the special number Sonya*, mom’s nurse, had given me earlier. I contacted one of mom’s favorite nurses, Barb* to let her know that I was leaving to bring mom back to The Community*.  Since the doors of The Community* were locked early on Thanksgiving, she suggested I call her again when I pulled up to The Community* so she could come down to the first floor and let us in. 

As I pulled under their canopy, I asked mom to stay put while Michael and I gathered all of her stuff to take back into The Community*.  By the time we were finished putting everything at the door, Barb* was down to help carry everything upstairs.  Mom was so happy and relieved to be back at ‘her home’.   She was so happy to see Barb* and I could tell the feeling was mutual.

Michael parked the car so his godmother could attend to his grandma.  Arriving in mom’s room, I told mom to look at the clock. I myself was startled to see that the time was exactly 6pm.  When I had gotten up from the dining room table to take mom home the time was slightly after 5pm, but with getting mom ready, packing the car, driving over and unpacking the car, we had just made the time I promised mom she would be back by. 

I started emptying out all of the stuff from our bags.  Barb* was most concerned about the medicine which I found quickly.  After she accounted for all the drugs, she went to get some water for mom so she could take her 7pm medicine now since mom was still anxious. 

Mom wanted to get her pajamas on immediately, however, Barb* said that she wanted mom to go visit mom’s good friend, Darlene*, who had come back earlier from having dinner with her family.  Mom insisted she wanted her pajamas now, but Barb* said she still had to feed another resident.

While we were still in mom’s room, I asked mom if she would like to have a photo of Michael with her.  Barb* took a photo of the three of us. 
 
You could see by the photo that mom was feeling better already.  Her stress was somewhat lifted.

After the photo, I asked mom if she would like a photo with Barb* she said, “Definitely.”
 
I suggested to mom that we should all go and wish Darlene* a Happy Thanksgiving.  “Mom would you like to introduce Darlene* to Michael?”

“Oh, yes, I would.”

When we wheeled mom into the dining room, Darlene* was sitting by herself, Darlene* was so happy to see mom. We all wished Darlene* a Happy Thanksgiving.  Mom said, “Darlene* this is my grandson, Michael.  I am lucky to have him.”

Michael said again, “Grandma, I am lucky to have you.”

I said, “Darlene*, where did you go for Thanksgiving earlier today?”

“My family took me to an Italian restaurant.  I can’t remember the name.”

“Maggianos?” I took a wild guess because I heard Maggianos’ was open for Thanksgiving dinner.

Darlene* looked started and smiled, “Yes, that’s the name.”

“I bet your family was glad you were there to celebrate Thanksgiving with them.”  Just as those words came out of my mouth Darlene* started to cry hysterically. I looked at mom and she said, ‘I don’t know what you are going to say now.”

“I am so sorry I made you cry, Darlene*.”

Darlene shook her head; she was crying tears of joy.  Darlene* still crying said, “My favorite nephew was there.”

“How great, Darlene*, I bet he was glad to spend time with you, too.”  Darlene* shook her head up and down confirming that he felt that way.

“How old is your nephew?”

“He’s 51”, she had now stopped crying.

“He’s a youngster.  I am 57.”  Finally, I had said something to make her smile again.

Mom seemed to be feeling better with time.  “Ok, Julienne, you and Michael can go back to your company.”

With that, I knew we could leave mom and Darlene* together with the rest of the residents in the dining room.  Michael and Mom hugged and kissed.  Mom told Michael and me how much she loved us and we told her the same.  As we were leaving mom smiled and blew us kisses, we reciprocated.

Walking down the hall of The Community*, Michael said, “What beautiful moments. Darlene* was crying tears because she was happy to see her nephew.”

“Michael, don’t ever forget that moment and how happy and proud Grandma is with you.”

“I won’t.  Grandma is happy to be here at The Community*.”

“Yes, she is; The Community* is an extension of her family.”

My wish came true:  Mom shared Thanksgiving with our family.  I was glad she was back at The Community* where I know she will be safe and well taken care of.

In my day of giving thanks for so many blessings in my life, I remember to give thanks for The Community* and their beautiful, caring staff.  My family is comforted knowing mom is comforted by their care.
 

*The turkey bag above was created by mom in one of her activities at The Community* a few years ago.  Every time I put this out I remember how proud mom was when she had given this gift to me. Mom smiles every time she sees her paper turkey on display  at my house including earlier today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment