Daughter's Eulogy

Monday, November 19, 2012

Oh No


 
Friday morning at 7:25AM, I was outside The Community* because the doors are locked until 8AM.  Fortunately, Rosey* walked by the hall and saw me standing in the outside foyer and let me in.
When I went to my mom’s room, Antoinette* was already there talking to mom convincing her that washing her hair in bed would not take long and she would keep her warm.  Anything or any new act scares mom to some degree so it is safe to say mom was anxious about the whole ordeal.
Mom did not like the idea that in order to have her hair washed in bed she had to be lying down.  But that position is necessary in order to keep mom and her nightgown from becoming soaked.  Mom was adamant that she needed a pillow to place under her head, but that is also not possible when having your hair washed.  The portable basin of water needs to be somewhat under her head.  Mom complained from start to finish; this position was not at all comfortable for her even though Antoinette* was so gentle and kind to mom.  I was Antoinette’s* assistance refilling the basin with clean warm water and keeping mom covered with blankets.  Mom also had on her warmest nightgown.
 
After Antoinette* had finished washing mom’s hair mom said, “Never again!  This was the last time.”
The process of her hair being washed seemed simple enough, however to mom the process was torture.  I tried to console mom.   I pulled out my hair dryer and plugged the cord in the closest outlet.  I had brought an extension cord because I wanted to make sure the dryer would reach mom while she was in bed.
Mom still kept complaining. With mom’s loss of hair, I had to be extra careful not to burn her scalp and yet dry her hair so she would not be cold.
 
“Hurry, Julienne, I am going to miss breakfast.”  Mom said.
“Gilda, I will go and bring your breakfast here in your room so that your daughter can finish drying and styling your hair,”  said Antoinette*.
“No, I don’t want my hair styled.  Leave it straight.”
 
"I think she is getting mad at you,"  Antoinette* said.
Although I tried to convince mom that she will not be happy later when her hair is still poker straight, “Mom would you like me to stay until after you have breakfast to style your hair.”
I received an affirmative ‘No’ from mom.
  
So Antoinette* and I dressed mom in a beautiful turquoise blue turtleneck (one of her warmest turtlenecks), black pant, and a black/white sweater.  I would have taken a photo of mom, however with mom’s hair not styled I knew she would never approve.
 
Antoinette* said she would wheel mom to the breakfast room.  I told mom goodbye and that I loved her with my whole heart.
Mom said, “Julienne, with my whole heart . . . with my whole heart . . . my whole heart.  Look I can’t say it right.”
“Mom, you have gone through a lot this morning.  I know what you mean and I love you that much, too.” 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment