Daughter's Eulogy

Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Day of Goodbyes




 
As mom and I entered the supportive living facility, mom said, “I don’t want to come here anymore.  I don’t want anyone to see me like this.”

“Mom, I promised I would honor your wishes. If you want I will do your hair for you.”

The foyer was empty which is highly unusual, but I think mom was relieved. As we entered the beauty shop, mom said, “Tell Jennifer”.

“Mom had a very bad day yesterday. Today is her last time she wants to have her hair done.”

“Oh no, why Gilda?”

“I’m too weak.  I don’t want people to see me like this.”

Jeanne* and I helped mom sit in the chair to get her hair washed.  I placed a blanket over mom’s lap.  I had asked Billy* mom’s nurse for a blanket before we left the rehab facility so I could keep mom from getting a chill when her hair got washed. I kept checking with mom to make sure she was nice and warm.  She was.

Mom relived everything that happened the day before with Jeanne*.   Then mom said, “Do you want to go for a cheeseburger?”

“Mom, I would love to go for a cheeseburger with you.” 

When Jeanne* was finished with mom’s hair, I said, “Mom you look beautiful.  I better take a photo of you so I know how to do your hair next week.”I also took a photo of Jeanne* and mom.  They both looked so happy.  The situation of mom never coming back here seemed hard to believe, but I guess everything has to come to an end.
 
Jeanne* said, “Gilda, I don’t want this to be your last visit.  I am going to keep your appointment that I have for you on Thursday next week just in case you change your mind.”

Mom grabbed Jeanne* hand, “I want to thank you for everything, you’re great,”

Mom saw a few employees when we were leaving, they came up to say hi as they always do when they see mom.  She told them, “Thank you for everything.  This is my last time coming here.”  They were surprised to hear her say that, but mom told them coming here was too much for her.  They hugged her and told her they would come to visit her at the rehab facility. 

While Mom and I headed to McDonald’s I said, “Mom, Jamie has an interview on Monday.” 

“I wish Jamie would get a job before I die so I know he would be happy?” 

“Don’t worry, mom, he will find a wonderful job.”

When Mom and I pulled into McDonalds, mom said, “I want a single.”

“Mom are you sure, you always eat a double cheeseburger.”

“Just a single, I’m not that hungry.  I don’t want you to waste money.”

Mom and I both ate our single cheeseburgers in the car.  Mom was able to eat on her own finishing her cheeseburger, fries and a root beer.  Mom has never been able to finish her soft drink, but today she did, I was guessing she was very thirsty from the antibiotics.  I could not help wondering if this was mom and my last picnic at McDonalds. I was trying to enjoy mom and every moment we have left together.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment