Daughter's Eulogy

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Friends Forever


Last Friday was a wonderful day for mom.  When I first saw her she was just coming out of the restroom, she said, “I’m ready.”
 

“Terrific.  Let’s go.”
 

We had a pleasant visit with Joanne*, her beautician. 
 
 
Mom asked about my vacation to the Dominican Republic.  Mom was upset to hear, I lost my phone on vacation in the Dominican Republic.  I said I would be getting a new one over the weekend, but for right now I had to use an old phone.
 

Mom and I picked up our pepperoni pizza from California Pizza Kitchen and brought our food back to the garden room.  Just as we were finishing Anita and her husband, Bill, walked into the garden room.  I mentioned to mom earlier that they would be visiting her today.  Mom’s comment when was, “Julienne, I get tired.  I hope our visit is not too long.”  I assured her when she had enough to let us know.
 

Anita is mom’s cousin, but more importantly mom has always felt a special closeness with her. I always felt that Anita was mom’s best friend although mom never said those words. Mom says the nicest things about her and lights up anytime she is around Anita. Mom has reacted that way to Anita ever since I can remember.  


Just as we were about to get up from the table mom said, “Julienne, I wish you had your phone so you could take a picture of us.”  Mom is so used to me taking photos of her.  She really enjoys that part of our time together.
 

Enthusiastically I said, “Mom, guess what?  I thought you might want a photo so I brought my camera.”
 

“That’s great, Julienne.  Where should we take it”?
 

We took a few pictures in order to make sure mom had a nice one.  I was glad I anticipated mom wanting a photo of them.
 
 
 

Mom was very happy to see them. She really enjoyed their company.  When they left mom said quietly, “There was a lot of love here today.”  At first, I was not sure if I heard her correctly.  But when I asked mom what she said she repeated the same thing.  This time I answered, “Yes, mom you’re right lots of love today.”
 

“Today was a great day.  I am glad they came.”
 

“I agree mom; I’m glad you feel that way.”


 

No comments:

Post a Comment