Daughter's Eulogy

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Lovely Visit


 

Last Friday, when mom and I were just finishing our Italian beef sandwich,  Marlene joined us in the garden room.  We sat and chatted a while until mom gave us the heads up that she was ready to do something else.  Mom agreed to go outside for a walk.  As we strolled outside, mom sat and rested on the first bench we came to stating, “I don’t think I can go much further today.”

“Today is a beautiful day.  Mom, it is nice just sitting right here.”

We all talked for a few minutes then mom said, “OK let’s move.”

“You’re the boss, mom.  Where should we go?’ We walked to the outside garden where we sat at one of the tables near the beautifully landscaped pond for a little while when mom proclaimed, “I’m ready to move.”

We headed upstairs where mom showed Marlene her bedroom. Mom said, “OK, I had enough.” She wanted to go sit with everyone else in the round just outside the activity room so we walked there with mom.  The activity board was right above when mom was sitting. The time was 1:18; mom wanted to rest.   I told her they were having Karaoke at 2PM.  She smiled. We hugged, kissed and told each other we love each other. Then mom said, “It was enough, wasn’t it.” I know she meant the tour and the time she spent with Marlene.  Mom is not used to having company outside of her immediate family.

“Yes, mom, we had a nice visit.”

Then I gave her another hug and kiss.  Mom said, “Please tell Jamie, I love him and I hope he feels better.”

“Mom, I promise I will.”

Mom wished Marlene and me both a nice day and I know she meant it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment