Daughter's Eulogy

Sunday, September 16, 2012

No More Guilt



 
In the last six months, mom and I truly look forward to the time we spend together. Needless to say when I go on vacation, I feel guilty leaving her.  I have these feelings because mom used to put me on guilt trips when I was growing up.  However times have changed.  More importantly mom has changed; mom no longer puts me on guilt trips. 

When I told her that Ron and I were going to the Dominican Republic for eight days to celebrate Mom and Dad Lentz's 60th Wedding Anniversary and Dad Lentz's 80th Birthday, mom was accepting of the idea.  Mom sadly said she would miss me, but wished that we all would have a wonderful time. 

Mom has really grown as a person and so have I. 

Before I left, I informed my brothers of my trip so they were aware that The Community* might get in touch with them if mom needs something while I am gone.  In addition, Sandy is always kind enough to take mom to her beauty shop appointment so mom does not miss her favorite day of the week.  I know mom is in good hands.

While I was gone, Jamie sent me a reassuring email to let me know that he had seen mom on Saturday.  (I had just taken mom to the beauty shop the day before.)  He stated mom was ok, but kind of blue that I was going to be gone for a while.

Jamie had a wonderful idea:  he and mom prayed for Mom and Dad Lentz, Ron and I to have a wonderful, relaxing vacation. He also reassured her I would be back in a few days. After they prayed, mom was in better spirits.  When Jamie visited her later that week, mom was feeling great. Anytime I leave her, even though I love traveling, I worry about her.   His thoughtful email came with great relief for me.
 
Our Puerto Plata vacation with Mom and Dad Lentz was a wonderful celebration that we will treasure for a lifetime.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment