Daughter's Eulogy

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Someday Finally Came


Last Sunday when Ron and I sat with mom outside, I mentioned to mom that I had something to show her.  “Mom another one of my short stories was chosen for Chicken Soup for the Soul.  This edition is called ‘Hooked on Hockey’.  I wrote a story about one of Ron’s favorite memories about Dad Lentz taking him to a hockey game when he was a child.  Now after Mom and Dad moved back to Chicago Ron took Dad to a hockey game this year.  My story is called ‘Someday Finally Came.’”

 

Mom asked me to read the story to her.  After I finished she said, “That’s a nice story. Do Ron and Annette like the book?”

“They have not seen the book yet.  When we arrived home from vacation, the book was in my mail.”

 “Mom, God works in mysterious ways!  Ask, Julienne, what makes this extra special,” Ron said excitedly.

Mom looked at me puzzled.

“Mom, the book arrives in bookstores this Tuesday, September 18th.  The date is very important.  It is Ron’s sister, Linda’s birthday.  This month is three years since she passed away from lung cancer.”
 
 

 “Julienne is going to give Mom and Dad the book on Linda’s birthday. Hopefully the story will let them know how much they are loved and how happy we are that they moved back,” Ron commented.

Mom nodded her head, “I’m sure they’ll like it.”

“Mom, this is my 3rd story in someone else's book; someday soon I am going to bring you a book with my name on the front cover.”

“I’m sure you will.”

“September 18th is also Frankie’s birthday.  She was Ron and my first dog.  Do you remember her, mom?”

Mom nodded again, “Yes, she was a good dog.”

“Julienne, will you get me some water? My mouth is dry.”

As I walked inside The Community* to search for a glass of water, mom said to Ron, “My daughter’s so talented.”

When Ron and I were on the way home Ron told me about their conversation.   I have accomplished many goals in my life, but I never felt as good as hearing mom’s words of support now. I have waited years to hear them.

“Someday Finally Came” seems an appropriate title for mom and me, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment