Daughter's Eulogy

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Say What?


 


Two weeks ago The Community* called to check if we wanted mom to receive a flu shot this year.  Being a strong believer in having a flu shot each year myself, I absolutely wanted mom to have one.  After all not only are senior citizens at high risk for developing serious complications stemming from influenza, but people with COPD are at even a higher risk.

Mom had her flu shot given to her on a Tuesday, when I saw her that following Friday she appeared lifeless and confused.  She had told me that she had been that way for the past few days.  She did not feel like doing much of anything.  After her beauty shop appointment that Friday, we went to McDonalds where mom was so tired she could barely eat half of a double cheeseburger (from my past blogs you are aware that this is quite unusual for mom).  I worried that mom’s sluggishness and loss of appetite was due to a side effect from the flu shot.

As soon as we arrived back at The Community*, I spoke to Billy* mom’s nurse and Dana* mom’s hospice nurse who both felt that mom would be OK.   The next day I left for the Dominican Republic and prayed mom would feel better in the days that followed.  When I received the notes from Jamie and Sandy after their visits with mom last week, it reconfirmed  that her nurses were right.

Yesterday after returning from our vacation, Ron and I visited mom to find her back doing great.  She was glad we all had a wonderful vacation, but even happier that we were now home. 

Mom had a lot of pep.  She wanted to go for a walk outside.  The weather was gorgeous and mom was glad to be out in the fresh air.  Mom gives herself goals when she’s walking without actually even realizing that she does.  Her next goal is always the next park bench.  Fortunately, mom’s walker has a built-in seat just in case she feels like she needs to take a break before the next park bench.

My comment to her is that there is no hurry and to take her time and just enjoy the walk. I let her know that she can stop and take as many breaks as she feels necessary.  Mom did very well, stopping and sitting for a few moments at the first three park benches.  While we were sitting on the last park bench mom stated that she walked all the way to the gazebo with Jamie recently, but that today this was as far as she could go.

While Mom sat with Ron on the park bench, I pulled out my camera.  Mom said, “Julienne really makes good use of her camera.”

“OK, say cheese.”

Ron said, “Cheese” and Mom said, “TV”.

“Mom, did I hear you say TV?”

“Yes, I thought that’s what you told me to say!”

“OK, let’s try it again.  Everyone now say ‘TV’”

With that comment, Ron and mom both laughed.  Here’s their photo:

No comments:

Post a Comment