Daughter's Eulogy

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

No Time Like the Present


On Father’s Day, Ron, Dad, and I headed to The Community*.  When we arrived, they both went to visit Mom Lentz; I went upstairs to see Mom Mascitti.

“Julienne, if you hurry you can catch them!” mom shouted.

“Mom, who am I trying to catch?”

“Jamie, Jerome and Debbie just left and they are going to see Annette. You should hurry if you want to see them.”

“Mom, I came to see you not them.”

“Would you like to go downstairs and visit Mom Lentz?”

“No, Julienne, I do not feel good enough to visit her.”

“Are you sure mom she has been here since last Tuesday?”

“No, Julienne, when I feel better, I will visit her.”

“OK, mom, you are the boss!”

“Mom, I stopped in your room on my way to see you and straightened your clothes in your closet.  Guess what I saw . . . the missing black shoe!”

“Yes, Julienne, my nurse found my shoe today.”

“Where did she find your shoe?”

“Somewhere in my room, I wasn’t there when she found it.”

“Julienne, take me to my room. I want to show you something.”

“Would you take my new nightgowns home?   They are too sexy.”

“What are you talking about?”

“They have lace around the neck.”

“Mom, they just have a little lace on the neckline.”

“Julienne, I don’t want sexy nightgowns.”

“Mom, you wanted warm nightgowns. These nightgowns are beautiful, soft, and long-sleeved to keep you warm.”

“Yes, they’re gorgeous, but I want you to take them home. ”

“No problem, I’ll take them home when I leave.”

I went to bring mom back to the activity room where some of the other residents were.

“Julienne, do you think I will ever be able to go without oxygen.  I get tired of this all around me.”

“I don’t know, mom.”  Not wanting to promise her something I cannot deliver.

I told her that I would ask the nurse to speak with her doctor and see if that would be possible even for a short while just to give her a break. 

“When the doctor gives us an answer, mom, I will let you know.”

I kissed mom goodbye. 

When I passed the nurses’ station, I thanked the nurse for finding mom’s shoe.  I asked her about writing a note for the doctor about mom’s oxygen.  The nurse said, “I don’t need to ask the doctor.  I will give her a 30 minute break and check her oxygen level to see how she is after 30 minutes.  I suggested we go tell mom the good news together.

“Julienne, what’s up?”

“Good news, mom.  Betty is going to take your oxygen off for 30 minutes and see how you do. If your oxygen level is still good she will schedule breaks for you in the future.”

“Julienne, I knew you could do it.” Mom grabbed by hands and kissed them. “Thank you so much.”

I left mom feeling like I had made a real difference in her quality of life today by just listening to mom and letting her wishes be known.

The Missing Shoe Caper was over even though I never found out the exact details . . . it really did not matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment