Daughter's Eulogy

Friday, June 22, 2012

Nine Lives



On Tuesday, I received a call from physical therapy at The Community*. 

“Would you please bring your mom’s personal walker back?” Sherrie asked.

“I was told 'mom would never walk again'.”

“Well, she has been walking today with our walker.  She wants to have her own walker back.  Your mom has gained some of her strength back again.  As long as someone walks with her, she is OK to walk on her walker. ”

“I’ll be happy to bring the walker back.”

“Your mom has good days and bad days.  Let’s keep the walker here for those good days.”



On Wednesday, mom was in the lunch room eating when I stopped by to bring her walker back to her.

“Julienne, I missed you these last few days.  Where have you been?”

“Mom, I am busy working on some photo books.  I have so many projects, I need to get done.”

“I know; I just like to see you.”

“Mom, I brought your walker back. I put the walker in your room.”

 “Julienne, can you believe I am walking again?”

“Mom, I am so proud of you.”

“I don’t know for how long I’ll be able to walk.”

“You’re doing great mom. Let’s just take one day at a time. “

“I already walked this morning.”

“That’s great.  I’ll let you finish eating; I will see you Friday.  Remember: you are getting your hair done and we’re going out for lunch on Friday.”

“Tell the nurse on your way out.”

“Love you, mom.  See you then.”

“Thank you, thank you so much.  Julienne, I love you.”



Mom has more lives than a cat.  There have been so many times when she has been so bad that I thought her last day was that day.  When I leave her on a day like today, I am amazed how her body and mind can spring back every now and then.  Only God knows what her future holds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment