Daughter's Eulogy

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Mom's Christmas Wish


 
On Christmas Morning, I slept late due to being up for several hours during the middle of the night.  When I woke up the first thing I saw on my dresser was the rosary I laid there just a few hours ago. 

Ron asked me immediately what our plans were for today.  Although every Christmas Day, we normally go to a blockbuster show before going over to Jerome and Debbie’s for Christmas Dinner that was not my intention today. My plan was to bring the rosary to my mom and say the rosary with her.  Ron understood; he agreed to go with me.

Upon arriving at The Community* the reception area was closed due to the holiday.  We proceeded to the elevators when Ron announced that there were no more masks just an empty box which used to hold masks. 

 
We continued on the elevator anyway because we were here on a mission. As we stepped off the elevator another table with a box of masks greeted us.  We immediately each put on a mask.
 
When we saw mom, she was startled at first.  When I reassured her that Ron and I just wanted to spend some time with her on Christmas Day she seemed to become a little more relaxed.  Mom was anxious to tell me that Jerome was there earlier today.

“He . . . fed  . . .  me,” Mom said.

“How nice, mom.”

“Julienne . . . it  . . . was  . . . beautiful,” mom coughed a lot.  I could hear all the congestion in her lungs.

His visit on Christmas Day truly meant a lot to her.

“Mom, look what I found last night,” I took out the crystal orchid rosary she had given me so long ago.
 
Mom shook her head and lifted her shoulders, “What is it?” 

I was shocked that mom could not remember.    Until a few months ago, mom said a rosary several times a week.  When talking with her she would always tell me that she said a rosary that day; she would tell me who she said the rosary for.  Mom always felt the prayers needed to be intended for someone.  She always wanted me to know just who they were for even when the prayers were not for me.  Praying the rosary was mom’s way of giving our sickness, job loss or money problems to God.  Praying the rosary was mom’s way of supporting her children.  When mom did not have something in particular to pray for, she would tell me she prayed for her whole family and anyone else who needed prayers.

“Mom, you gave me this rosary many years ago.  This rosary came from Medjugorje.”

“I don’t remember,” mom sadly said.

I explained, “mom you used to say the rosary at church and at The Community* almost every day.  How about if Ron and I say the rosary and you just listen?”

Mom shook her head that she was agreeing.  Ron held one of mom’s hands and I held her other hand and we began praying.  When we said the first Hail Mary mom looked at me and said, “I don’t  . . . know   . . . that . . . prayer.”

“Mom, that prayer is the Hail Mary.  By praying that prayer we are asking Jesus mother, Mary, to talk to him for us and grant His help.”

Mom shook her head no meaning she did not understand.

“Mom, Ron and I will keep saying the prayers.”  Again, mom nodded that she was in agreement.

We just began saying the third mystery when mom spoke up shaking her head in frustration,  “Too long  are  . . . almost  . . .done?”

“No mom we are not half way through.”

Mom shook her head she was frustrated, “No.”  I thought praying the rosary would have a calming effect on mom instead I brought her more frustration.

“Mom, you and I always pray directly to Jesus.  Should we pray your special prayer “Mom is the Light?”

Mom smiled, “Yes.”

Still holding hands we prayed her special prayer.  Mom seemed relieved and somewhat comforted.  

“Ask . . .  God . . . for angels,” mom said. 

I knew exactly what mom wanted so I said, “Dear God, please have your angels come and take mom home to you.”

Mom smiled and once again nodded that she agreed.

“Mom, I am praying for your peace even when I am not with you, right Ron?”

“Mom, Julienne and I say the “Mom is the Light prayer for you every morning together.”

“OK . . . go” mom said.

We both wished mom a Merry Christmas again.

Mom said, “Where?”

“Mom, are you asking me where we are going today?”

She shook her head yes.

“Ron and I are going to Jerome and Debbie’s for Christmas Dinner.”

“I wish  . . . I could,” while saying those words she was shaking her head no.

“Mom, we wish you could, too.  You know they will not let me take you out anymore.”

“Yes . . . too sick.”


"Mom you are always with us and we are always with you,” I said wanting mom to know she is very loved and that she will be very missed tonight.

Ron hugged and kissed mom.  Then I hugged and kissed her.

“We love you mom with all of our hearts.”

Mom said, “Tell  . . . everyone . . .  I love  . . . them  . . .  my  . . . whole  . . . heart.”


 
Ron and I left blowing kisses to mom.  She still finds great comfort blowing kisses back to us. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment