Daughter's Eulogy

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Losing Ability to Communicate

 
Monday’s visit with mom was a frustrating one for both mom and me.  When mom saw me she said, “Hair today.”  Unfortunately, I had just stopped by the beauty shop on the way up and found out that Sharon* the beautician at the rehab facility had taken the day off.  “No, mom, the beauty shop is closed today.  Sharon* must be sick or she took a vacation day.”

That was the one and only form of communication mom and I had.  Mom was having a difficult time trying to talk today.  From then on mom said two or three words and as hard as I tried to make sense out of her attempts at conversation, I could not.  I spent much of our time just holding her hands.  Every time she attempted to get a thought out with no luck, I apologized for not understanding what she was trying to tell me.

Mom‘s legs were still swollen.  I spoke with Dana* who said she would have Billy* call mom’s doctor to see if he would double up on mom’s lasix again.  The doctor doubled up last week, but we saw no difference in mom’s leg swelling with that lasix series.

On Tuesday the doctor agreed to double up on the lasix again for another three days.  Along with the lasix, he prescribed potassium.   Sharon* also did mom’s hair.

On Wednesday, I spoke with Dana who said there still no reduction in mom’s swollen legs.  In addition, mom now has a temperature of 100.4.  Dana* also mentioned that Jamie had brought mom some chicken wings which is one of mom’s favorite food.    They were in the Garden room eating now.  I was comforted knowing that my brother was there brightening mom's day.

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading your blog every week. I lost my mother over 6 years ago and I still feel the pain of that loss every minute of every day. I am happy for you that you have this opportunity and are making the most of it. I hope it brings you peace.

    ReplyDelete