Daughter's Eulogy

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Shopping with a Purpose


 


Sunday morning I was on a mission to buy mom some new nightgowns and bring them over to her.  This is not as easy as one would think because of the time of year almost all nightgowns now are sleeveless or cap sleeves.  After going to three stores, I finally found two light gray long sleeved gowns with white flowers.
Upon signing in at reception desk, I saw Lori* again and asked her if I could please have someone from laundry label these nightgowns before I left so I could make sure mom would receive them back prior to bedtime. 
Lori* mentioned that after I left yesterday, maintenance handled the ant problem.  She told me to check when I went up to mom’s room and if mom still had ants to let her know immediately. 
Luckily mom’s room was ant free.  Additionally when I looked in mom’s drawers, I found two other nightgowns that made their way back home after the search party yesterday.
Looking for mom, she was not in her room, or around the nurses’ station or in the activity room so I asked where she could be.  I was told that she went walking with her friend, Darlene* and Darlene’s* daughter.  Although mom is in a wheelchair her footrests are off right now so she can maneuver slowly but surely down the hall.  As I came out of the activity room, I looked down the hall at Darlene’s* room and there was mom speaking to both of them.
“She told me your daughter is here,” mom said.  “But I told her you were just here yesterday.”
“I bought you some new nightgowns.”  I pulled them out of the bag to show her.
 
“Julienne, they’re pretty,” mom smiled.
“Mom, I am so happy you like them.”
 “How’s everything today?”
“Better,” mom said.
“Thank God.”
“You’re dressed up, where you going?”
“I am going to a friend’s father’s memorial service.”
“You better leave; don’t be late.”  Mom thoughtfully said.  She was a million times better today.  She had slept in her nightgown last night. 
I insisted that we check her room together before I go.  Mom agreed.  Everything looked good; no unwanted visitors crawling around.
 “You look so nice today, mom, how about if I take a photo?”

 
“Some person told me I have beautiful eyes.”
“They’re right.”  I took the photo and showed her, “Look, mom, you are beautiful.”
Today I left feeling much better than yesterday.  Mom had a calmness about herself.  She knew her needs were now being met again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment