Daughter's Eulogy

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

May I Be Candid?


 

When I left The Community* on Sunday, mom’s situation seemed to be getting on the right track even though mom was still missing pillows and some nightgowns. 
 
 
I decided to leave a message for the Administrator and asked her to call me on Monday.  A few weeks ago we just had a care meeting where I praised The Community* for the care mom was receiving.  Since then a ridiculous amount of negative events have occurred:  mom’s medication was decreased; her mattress was changed; mom fell out of bed; her button has not worked;  they have put mom in hospital gowns to sleep because her many nightgowns are missing; her regular nurse left for six weeks; her pillows were missing; and the latest ant episode. 
Mom’s care meetings are every couple months and waiting till the next meeting did not seem to be a good idea when they can and should correct any problems as they happen.  Top management must know that things are slipping.
Donna* called me and listened carefully to all the issues mom has faced.  She was apologetic and told me she would try to locate mom’s pillows and the rest of her nightgowns.  She would also investigate all the other problems mom had. 
Later that day Donna* called me back, The Community* had already located another one of mom’s pillows and another nightgown.  She had spoken to the Head of Nursing who was looking into the other issues.
Donna* thanked me and let me know that reporting issues are important for the level of care that they want all their residents to receive.  My intention of making the decision to call Donna* was to improve mom’s care, but I believe by informing Donna* the quality of care for all residents will improve. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment