Daughter's Eulogy

Thursday, January 3, 2013

An Unexpected Prayer


 
 

A few days ago I met with Dana* from Hospice. I asked her if she would set up a person from St. Thomas the Apostle to visit mom regularly to give her communion and pray with her.  Mom finds comfort when we pray together so I thought she might also find comfort from receiving communion.

With this special request, I asked her to also make sure that the person knew that mom will need water with the Holy Communion as her mouth is always dry.  I also mentioned to make sure that the person puts a straw in the cup and most importantly that the person holds the cup and straw while mom drinks because her hand and mouth both shake.  Dana* said she would make the right calls and get back to me.

Tonight on my way home my phone rang, Rosalee* from hospice called.  She told me that Dana* had told her of my request.  She had contacted St. Thomas the Apostle, but has not heard back from them yet.  Rosalee* wanted me to know that she had visited mom today. 

She asked mom, “Gilda, would you like to pray with me?”

“Yes,” mom answered.
 
“Gilda, what should we pray for?”  Rosalee* asked.  Before Rosalee* told me what mom said, I could only imagine that mom would have wished for God to come for her.  Yet mom’s answer was quite different.

Mom said, “My children . . . for God  . . . take . . . care.”

I was driving home when I received this special message from hospice.  My eyes filled with water.  Mom knows she will be leaving us and she is still worried about her children.

Rosalee* said, “Julienne, is there anything I or anyone at hospice can do for you or your family?”

“You just did.  Thank you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment