Daughter's Eulogy

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Chronicling Our Journey


  
Last Sunday’s visit with mom was extra special.  Mom and I looked through a binder I had brought her filled with all the blogs I have written and posted.  Mom and I have discussed the blog many times throughout our journey although each and every time she refers to the blog as a book.  

In the past I have shown her the blog on my iPhone.   She loves the color of the website because shades of purple have always been her favorite colors.  She has approved every photo of herself during her journey.  Now what I presented her with is a book; she can relate to how much we have been through in the last nine months.

Mom enjoyed looking through the pages especially at the photographs.  The pictures of the hamburgers and us sitting at McDonald's seemed to make her smile the most.

 The blog started in April 2012 after mom had been admitted and diagnosed with dementia, COPD, and congestive heart failure.  Mom had already moved out of her supportive living facility and into the rehabilitation facility when I had the idea to turn my journal into a blog.  After posting each blog, I print and keep each one in a binder.  With over 120 posts, the book is over 400 pages. 

At the time I started, I had no idea if I would have enough to say to continue writing the blog, but somehow I never seem to be at a loss for words.  The time I spend with mom is a gift. I am happy to document and share our journey. Just yesterday I bought a bigger binder so I can continue to keep our journey together in one book since only God knows how long our journey will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment