Daughter's Eulogy

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Easier Said Than Done


 
Yesterday when I was with mom, I started to wonder if mom’s dementia is reaching another stage.  The world between what is real and what is not keeps rearing its ugly head. 

Mom could not wait to tell me that they are doing tests on her.  When I asked mom what kind of tests, she could not explain. I tried to reassure mom that they cannot do any tests without my permission. 

As Billie* walked by I mentioned what mom had just told me that someone is doing tests on her.    

 “What kind of tests, Gilda?” Billie* asked mom.

Mom made several attempts to explain, but neither one of us could understand what mom was saying.

Billie* tried again, “Who is doing these tests?”

Mom shrugged her shoulders, “Forget it.”

“Gilda, there are no tests. Don’t worry.”

Mom repeated what Billie* said, “Don’t worry.”

“Mom, are you in any pain?” 

She shook her head no, and then said, “When is . . . going to be over?”

 “God knows; no one else does mom.”
 
 

Even though we all try to convince mom not to worry, mom has so much time to think and her mind to wander.  The only way I know to truly comfort mom is to pray with her.  What I pray for is mom’s peace of mind and the patience for us all to accept God’s plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment