Daughter's Eulogy

Friday, March 22, 2013

Tiny Miracles For Gilda

The Community* had scheduled a meeting with me this past Wednesday to discuss Mom’s continuing care.    I arrived early so I could pop upstairs for some time with mom.  After all today was an exciting day because mom and I were featured in an article in the Naperville Sun last week.  The title of the article was ‘Daughter chronicles mother’s illness’.  I had remembered today to bring the article to show mom. 

Initially when I was interviewed by the reporter from the Sun back in November of last year, she had informed me that she planned on having the article run in a March issue.  At the time, I was disappointed to hear that because mom was so close to the end that I never thought she would be able to see her photo in the paper along with the article.   Proving that God has perfect timing not only is mom still with us, she can actually read and appreciate the story.
 


Mom’s bout with Dementia has been a new challenge for mom and everyone around her as we have not had anything like this to deal with before.  We do not know what to expect.  Every visit is filled with the unknown of how we will find her.  Mom’s condition has been a reckless rollercoaster with many bumps and turns.  Fortunately mom has recently taken an unexpected turn for the better.  No one has any answers except to tell us to enjoy the window of clarity mom is experiencing right now because the window can close at any time without notice.

Mom was surprised to see me; she had forgotten that when Ron and I saw her on Monday that I mentioned returning on Wednesday for a ‘Care Meeting’. 

“Guess what, Jamie was here earlier”, mom said.

“How nice, mom.  I have something special to show you.” With that I opened my notebook, and pulled out and handed a newspaper article to mom.

“Our picture is in the paper.  What’s that all about?” mom wondered.
 


“Mom, I was interviewed by the Naperville Sun and they wrote an article about us.”

Mom started to read the title, “Daughter what’s that word, Julienne?”

“The word is chronicle which means that I continue to write stories concerning most of the things you and I discuss about your illness including all the photos I take.  The article reads ‘Daughter chronicles mother’s illness’. “

“Julienne, read it to me, I don’t have my glasses.”  So I did, and when I finished mom said, “Julienne, you are so ambitious.”

“The photo of you and me is from our blog.  Do you like the article and the photo I used?

“Beautiful, Julienne, just beautiful,” mom sincerely commented.  My heart melted; mom was proud of me sharing her story (actually our story) and for that alone my blog is validated in my eyes.

“Did Dana* see it?”

“Yes, I saw her on my way upstairs and I showed her.”

“Did she like it?”

“She loved it.”

Mom had a huge smile on her face, “I knew she would.”

“Let’s go show Billy*?”  I wheeled mom to the nurses’ station.  “Did you see my daughter’s article?” handing the article to Billy*. 

“Very nice, Gilda,” Billy* stated.

We showed a few other people then I excused myself and left for the care meeting on the first floor.

During the meeting we discussed the remarkable difference in mom the past few weeks.  After reviewing her medications and care they commented that they do not understand her progress right now.  One comment was “I consider it tiny miracles for Gilda.” 

I acknowledged that the care mom is receiving at The Community* is wonderful and I took time to praise several members of their staff that go out of their way to make mom feel loved and cared for.

After the meeting, I went back upstairs to say goodbye to mom.  She was in the activity room working on a word puzzle book.  “Mom, I am so happy to see spending time working in your word books.”

“I’m not doing that well today.  I did better yesterday.  How did everything go?” mom asked.

“Everything went well; everyone is pleased with your progress.”

“Am I staying?”  Mom questioned.

“Until God calls you home, you are staying mom.”

“OK.”  Mom confirmed. 

“Mom, I will see you Saturday for our pizza party.”

“I asked Jamie to bring some sausage.  Is that ok?”

“Do you still want pizza?”

“Yes, can’t I have sausage too?”

“You sure can.  I’ll see you Saturday.”

Leaving today I felt fabulous, mom loved our article and she was looking forward to her pizza party and oh yes  . . .  some sausage.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank
    you, However I am going through issues with your RSS.
    I don't know why I can't subscribe to it. Is there anybody else getting identical RSS issues?

    Anybody who knows the solution can you kindly respond?

    Thanks!!

    Look at my web-site ... best internet business

    ReplyDelete