Daughter's Eulogy

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pizza and Sausage Party




 

As planned Saturday was Pizza Party day.  Mom loves her pizza crispy so that was a must to ensure her enjoyment.  Ron and I stopped at Lou Malnati’s and ordered one well done large thin pepperoni pizza for mom and a small thin cheese pizza.

Once we arrived at The Community* everyone including mom was sitting around a table in the garden room on the first floor.  Mom was happy to see us and even happier to see the pizzas we were carrying.

Mom’s first comment to me was, “Guess what, Julienne, I had forgotten today was the day we were getting together.”

Jamie mentioned that when Tracy and he went upstairs to bring mom downstairs she was in the lunchroom just about to enjoy some chicken soup.  Mom was surprised to find out that her party day was here already.

Mom wanted both the well done sausage Jamie made her and a piece of pizza on her plate.  Mom’s appetite was excellent as she not only ate both but had a few more slices of pizza (picking the crispest ones).
 
 
Pizza Day was extra special because mom asked for us all to be together yet prior to this day worried if she made a good decision.  She wondered if she would still be feeling good enough to take pleasure in being together with her family.  Mom enjoyed every moment and so did we. 

In fact, mom liked the party so much she wished she had invited her grandchildren and great grandchildren.  She kept repeating over and over, “Forgive me for not inviting them to this party.”  Honestly I was not sure if she could take all the excitement so I did not push her.  I was totally honoring mom’s request.

Jerome said, “Good thing you didn’t invite them; they would have eaten all your pizza, mom.”

“That’s Ok they could have eaten all my pizza.  I would let them.”

“Mom repeated that she missed them and would love to see them.”

Debbie said, “Mom, next time we will invite them.  Michael is still at school. None of us are going anywhere.  We will do this again.”

Sam*, a good friend of mom’s and our family, came by to say hi.  We asked him to share some of our pizza but he declined.  Instead he showed us his knee.  Recently he had knee replacement surgery and he was doing remarkably well.  Ron is scheduled to have knee replacement soon so we were all anxious to hear about his progress.

Mom talked a lot about mom and my photo in the newspaper and telling me that everyone on her floor was talking about it.  She said, “I’m so proud our picture was in the paper.  What do you say I have again?”

“Dementia”, I said.

“No! You said something else!” mom questioned.

“COPD and Congestive Heart Failure” I answered.

“Yes, that’s it.  I keep forgetting.”

Just then Angelina* walked by our table and mom called her over, “I want to introduce you to my three sons.”   We all laughed especially mom when she realized what she said.  Jerome said, “Hey Mom, My Three Sons was a TV show.”
 


Angelina* said, “Your mom is very sweet. She talks about you and your brothers all the time.  She also tells me about her grandson that plays soccer.  She tells me that she used to go to his games.”

 
Angelina* is the weekend activities person.  Mom is fond of her and you could tell by their photo that Angelina feels the same way. 

She was kind enough to take a photo of our entire group so we could all be in the picture.
 
 

As the party was coming to an end, I informed mom that I was going to Paul’s home to pick up some lonza.   Mom said, “Lonza, how wonderful he made it.  I can’t wait to eat some.  Bring me lots.” (Lonza is an Italian specialty meat)

“Someday this week, you and I will eat Lonza sandwiches together.”

“Great, Julienne, thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

“I am so glad you enjoyed the party.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment