Daughter's Eulogy

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Good Luck in Life


 

On Thursday, I spent some time with mom.  For several months during every visit with mom, she always brings up the quality or lack thereof regarding her bowel movements as though this should be a normal subject for us to discuss.  She is always concerned whether she is going too much or too little.  My reassurance to mom means little with regard to this area of discussion.  Every time I take mom to the restroom, mom feels compelled to report her progress to Billy* her nurse immediately.  Mom instructs me to wheel her to Billy* and I do so not to upset her. 


Mind you that Billy* has not requested this information.   Billy* never gives mom any reason for concern about what she reports.  In fact, Billy’s* response is always reassuring.  She’ll say one of two comments to mom either ‘That’s ok,’ or ‘That’s good.’ Mom will repeat whatever her nurse says right back only in the form of a question like ‘That’s ok?’ or ‘That’s good?’   Then mom waits for Billy’s* confirming response; she never lets mom down repeating ‘Yes, that’s ok’ or ‘Yes, that’s good’. This reminds me of a movie called Groundhog Day where the day keeps repeating itself no matter how many times you wake up.
 

This day while mom going through her regular spiel with Billy*, Donna*, one of the other residents, said to mom in a pleasant and funny tone, “You are such a pretty lady, but you’re a pain.  You are always worrying or complaining.” 
 

Donna*, Billy* and I smiled.  Mom saw us all smile or smirk. Mom smiled too and responded, “I am glad I make you all laugh”.  Mom and Donna* are good friends; I do not think mom was at all upset her comment.
 

Later that visit, mom wanted to know if I could bring in a pizza and invite a few family members there. Mom stressed a small group.  I let her know that I would contact Jamie and Jerome and plan a date for a pizza party.  This is a big deal because mom normally is overwhelmed to see more than one or two people at a time, so the possibility of 5 or 6 people may seem like a huge crowd to her, but certainly worth a try.
 

When I left mom, Maria was starting to wheel people into the activity room.  So after I wheeled mom to her place at the Bingo table, I said, “Mom, good luck in Bingo today.”
 

Mom kissed me, squeezed me as tight as she could then said, “Good luck in life, Julienne.”
 

“Thanks, mom, everyone needs a little luck.”  We blew each other kisses.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment