Daughter's Eulogy

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Band Played On

 
On Monday after spending several hours in a knee surgeon’s office, Ron and I decided to stop and see mom on our way home.  Mom was sitting in the activity room with her friends singing.  Yes  . . .   I said singing!   Mom was holding a booklet with about ten songs written in large print.  Mom’s hands still shake but she was able to hold the book well enough to read and sing-along. 

As soon as mom saw us she smiled and said, “I can quit.”

“No need to stop singing, mom, Ron and I will join in.” with that Ron and I both pulled up chairs alongside mom.  She loved us singing with her.  Although I had to share mom’s program because I had never heard of some of the songs they were singing, Ron knew all the words as he was in the Madrigals in High School.  We sang such songs as:  Margie, In My Merry Oldsmobile, and The Band Played On.


When they were through singing, I informed mom that the family pizza party she requested would be this Saturday.  “Julienne, I figured you would try and do it,” Mom said.

“Of course, you asked me to.  We are all looking forward to getting together with you as a family.”

“Do you think it will be OK?”  Mom was worrying already if she made the right decision in asking for a family get together.

“I think you had a wonderful idea, mom.”

“How about we order a pepperoni pizza, mom?” Ron responded.

“That’s what I like; ask Julienne.” Mom commented.

As we left today, mom was in a terrific mood.  After she kissed Ron, she said, “I want another, do you mind?”

“You can have as many as you want, mom.” Ron laughed and gave mom more hugs and kisses.

“Kisses are free. You can have as many as you want, mom,”  I laughed.

“What do you mean free . . . they’re priceless.” Ron joked.

“You’re right . . . priceless,” I confirmed. 

 “Love you both with all my heart,” mom said smiling. 

As we left, all three of us were blowing kisses.


No comments:

Post a Comment