Daughter's Eulogy

Friday, March 8, 2013

Lady Luck


 

On my last visit, I found mom’s floor quarantined.  The flu seems to have found its way back up to their floor. On Monday, they had five residents down who were experiencing flu systems including mom’s close friend, Darlene. When there are only a few residents with flu systems, those residents are confined to their room. Fortunately, mom was feeling good.
 

Just as I saw mom, Shirley* was starting to wheel residents into the activity room.  Mom was energetic and smiling when I noticed her.
 

Mom said enthusiastically, “Julienne, want to play Bingo.”
 

“I would love too.  Last time I brought you a little luck.”
 

Mom wanted me to seat her right next to Shirley* where she normally sits.
 

Shirley* said, “Your mom is doing great again. She does not need my help lately, but she still likes to sit near me.  It’s OK.   Right, Gilda?”
 

“Right!” mom smiled and shook her head.
 

Mom’s eyesight seems to be good again. And she is mentally alert. She definitely did not need any help from Shirley* or me.
 

Mom came close to winning the first game several different ways, but lost.  The second game mom won.  Shirley* brings a bag filled with items that they are allowed to pick from most of the items are candy, crackers, or cookies. 



Mom said, “I want a Kit Kat.”
 


Shirley* handed mom her KitKat; mom handed the candy bar to me to open.   “Let’s share.”  Mom said forgetting that I am allergic to chocolate.
 

“Mom, you can eat the KitKat; I am allergic to chocolate.”
 

“Oh, no, I would have picked something else.”


“Thanks, mom, I do not want any candy.”
 

“If I win again, you pick.”  


A few games later mom won again.  She was so thrilled.
 

“Julienne, you pick.”   Shirley* gave us a hand full of wrapped mints.  Mom and I eat had one; I slipped the rest in mom’s sweater for her for later.
 
 
The odds for mom to win in Bingo today were stacked because of so many other residents were sick in their beds.  They normally have ten to twelve residents playing Bingo, today there was only five.
 

When I left mom was happy that we played Bingo together again.  She was so proud of herself.  I was amazed that mom is speaking clearly and able to do things on her own again.  I do not understand it, but I enjoyed the day with mom.
 

On my way out, I stopped to talk with Dana* mom’s hospice nurse.  She said, “You have to be so happy.  Your mother is speaking clearly.”
 

“I am pleased and surprised.”



“Let’s just enjoy her while it lasts.”
 


 

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this
    website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
    Plz answer back as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thanks

    Here is my web-site: private krankenversicherung ranking

    ReplyDelete