Daughter's Eulogy

Monday, October 8, 2012

What a Difference a Day Makes


Mom’s birthday was last Wednesday. She was feeling great; Ron and I had a wonderful day with mom celebrating her birthday.  So you can imagine my surprise when I went to see her on Thursday to take her to her beauty shop appointment and found mom initially disoriented, depressed, and constantly complaining.

Her dementia was really bad this day.  I had to convince her to let me take her to the beauty shop. How she could go from such a happy state to a very confused state was sadly disturbing.

From the moment she walked into Joanne’s* beauty shop till the time we left, there was no doubt from everyone who came in contact with mom, knew that her dementia was acting up today.  She was constantly asking the same two questions over and over again.  “When is my next shower? When is my next hair appointment?”  Joanne* and I both kept answering the questions each time mom asked.  She was trying our patience, but fortunately we were both calm and trying to comfort mom.

Even though mom was in bad place, I asked her if she still wanted a picture taken and she did.  Joanne* was able to make her smile and I was able to capture that smile with my camera. 

After I snapped a few photos of mom she said, “Can I see?”

“Of course, mom, you tell me which one to put in the blog?”  Here’s the photo mom selected.

Looking at this photo you would have no idea what a difficult day mom was having.
 
 

Before I left mom did remember that I was having surgery on Friday, Oct 7.  She wished me well and I told her not to worry that my surgery would be no big deal.  Little did I know . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment