Daughter's Eulogy

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Taking the Next Step


Today was a good news day when I went to see my foot surgeon. They removed my foot monstrosity as demonstrated in previous blogs.  I dreamed about seeing my ankle, giving the entire leg a chance to breathe, and rubbing my leg with moisturizer.  All of the above happened just as I thought except my incision was much larger than I imagined.  Underneath all the padding was an ankle looking much different than prior to the surgery.  

After having my stitches removed, I was fitted for an air walking boot which is pretty remarkable.  When the air is activated, the boot conforms to my foot and ankle, making sure my foot feels safe and comfortable.   This boot will allow me to start putting weight on my foot in the next few days.  Although I am still on crutches, I will be able to bathe without the boot which is definitely an answered prayer.  

Even though physical therapy will not take place for four more weeks, my doctor’s orders were to remove boot 5-6 times per day and draw the alphabet with my toes each day before an icing treatment to reduce swelling.   What he instructed me to do was to take my time and not over do.  Fortunately, I will still be on pain medication and Ibuprofen to eliminate swelling especially in case I over do. 

Although Ron is thrilled that I will slowly start becoming more independent, no one is happier than me to go back to being a caregiver for mom instead of being cared for.  However I am thankful for Ron, my family and friends for their help and continued support.

No comments:

Post a Comment