Daughter's Eulogy

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Change in Spirit

 
 

Monday started out great. Ron and I left at 7:30am to meet with Stephanie, Make A Wish CEO, to drop off $2000 check from Mom Lentz’s MAW Fundraiser held at Shorewood Glen.   We took a tour of Make A Wish’s new offices and then worked on information and permissions for Our Make A Wish book, Opened Our Hearts.

Once we left MAW, Ron and I headed to his knee surgeon for Ron’s first visit back since his total knee replacement surgery. Ron received excellent news. His knee is progressing nicely. And the future is bright:  Ron will be able to ski, bicycle, and most important play basketball after he is done with physical therapy.
 
 
On our way home I asked Ron if he had a few minutes to see mom. Of course, Ron agreed.

I guess I expected to find mom in good spirits. However today the saying Expect the unexpected was true.

We found mom just finishing eating in the lunch room. She originally saw just me and said, “Oh, Julienne  . . .  I thought it was   . . .  ‘IT’  . . .  last night.”

Trying to cheer mom up and delay the inevitable conversation I said, “Guess who’s here?”

Mom looked up and saw Ron behind me. She smiled, “Ron.”

Ron hugged and kissed mom. She was happy to see him.

I wheeled mom to her room so we could all sit and talk for a few minutes while I straightened and organized her closet. Ron sat on mom’s bed and I parked mom right by him. She complained constantly about wanting to leave. I am not sure what switch turned on or off in her brain right now, but she could not stop talking about wanting to die now.   At one point mom turned to Ron and said, “Tell my daughter what ‘IT’ is!!!

Ron commented, “Your daughter knows what you mean.   She is trying to take your mind off that subject.”

“I don’t want to stay!  I want to go!!!!”  Mom said with conviction.

My answer was “God will take you when He is ready. He will not forget you, Mom.”

Mom kept saying, “They are doing things to keep me here.”

I would keep responding that “I promise you, mom, we are not doing anything to prolong your stay. Be patient with God. ”

Ironically even with mom’s mental state, mom looked great.

“Mom, can I take a photo of you and Ron since this is his first visit to see you after his surgery?”  Mom shook her head smiling.

Ron said, “Your daughter loves taking photos of everything and everyone.”

Mom responded, “I know she does.”

Ron started to kneel on the floor by mom while I told him not too. I could have taken a beautiful shot without him kneeling. Ron knelt anyway saying, “Look I can kneel just fine.”
 
 
 

Anyone who’s married knows there is no sense disagreeing. And sure enough Ron could kneel. The photo came out adorable. I showed them both their photo.

Mom’s smile only lasted as long as the time for me to take and see their photo.

As soon as Ron stood up, he said, “Mom, we have to leave I have a conference call I have to take in a few minutes.”

“Ok, Ron, pray for me,” mom stated.

“Yes, mom, we do pray for you.” Ron hugged and kissed mom. Then he darted off towards the car while I wheeled mom back to the nurses’ station where I parked her near Darlene*.

“Thanks for coming with Ron. Now I want to go. Pray for me.”

“Mom, I promise God will come for you. I will pray for Him to comfort you.” We hugged, kissed and she told me she loved me. Even in mom’s condition she still blew me kisses. Mom needs prayers right now . . . Prayers for peace and to accept God’s will.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment