Daughter's Eulogy

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Blowing Kisses



 

On Sunday after church, I visited mom. She was not in the activity room with the other residents; instead she had dozed off sitting around the nurses’ station.  While I stopped to speak to mom’s nurse, mom woke up and seemed to be surprised to see me.  Mom wondered how long I had been talking to her nurse. 

When I approached mom stated, “A lot of people . . . leaving  . . . this place.”

“Mom, they did not leave you.  The other residents including Darlene* are in the activity room.”

Mom shook her head side to side, “No  . . .  they  . . .  died.”

“Who died?”

“A lot of people   . . .  place is empty.”  There were a handful of other people who had chose not to participate in activities today and were sitting around the nurses’ station along with mom. 

“Mom, I will take you to the activity room and show you where the other people are.”  I started to unlock mom’s wheelchair to move her.

“No   . . .   not them.  Guy  . . . across hall   . . .  another lady.”  Mom was adamant that people had passed away recently.  She was probably right.

Mom spoke up again, “I guess  . . . they decided  . . . I’m staying.”

“Who decided that you’re staying?”

“You all  . . . decided.  Say  . . . I’m better.”

“You are definitely eating better and you look good.”

Mom happily said, “Guess what  . . .  watched . . . Joel   . . . today.”  When mom lived independently she loved watching Joel Osteen’s sermon every Sunday morning before she went to church.
 
 

“That’s great.  What did Joel have to say?”

“He   . . . didn’t make  . . . sense.”  Mom has a hard time comprehending conversations now so I am sure Joel’s sermon was hard to understand in her present state.

“At least you were able to watch him; Joel has a nice smile.  He always looks so happy.”

Mom shook her head agreeing with me.

“Let’s pray, mom.”

“I give up  . . . thinking  . . .  my words . . .  fall apart.”

“Mom, just don’t give up praying. I can understand you clearly today.”

Surprisingly mom popped up with, “My famous words  . . . God when you’re ready . . . I’m ready.”

“Good prayer, mom.”

“Keep my kids . . .safe.”

“Another good prayer.”

After we prayed, I wheeled mom into the activity room to see if I could have mom join the others.  They were all watching a movie.
 
 

“Mom, they are watching The Sound of Music.  That is one of my favorite movies.  Do you like The Sound of Music with Julie Andrews?”

“Yes”.  I sat with mom for a little while watching the movie when she turned to me and said, “OK, you need to go now.”

“Mom enjoy the movie.”

“I’ll probably  . . . sleep.”

“That’s OK, too, mom.”

Our goodbyes always seem to take ten minutes from the first goodbye, hug and kiss to the last one before I walk out.  One or two kisses never seem to suffice. As  I was walking out of the activity room  I heard mom say, “Julienne   . . .  can’t see you.”  I had put mom’s wheelchair break on after I wheeled her in.  They were still locked.  Mom used to be able to lock and unlock them herself before, but now she is confused and needs help locking and unlocking.

I walked back to mom, “Sorry, mom, I locked your brakes so you would stay facing the TV.  Did you need something?”

Mom picked up my hand to kiss.  Smiling she raised her hand to her mouth and blew kisses.

I hugged mom again, “Mom, I had forgotten to blow kisses, I am so glad you remembered.”  How happy I was that I heard mom call me back before I left.

All is well.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment