Daughter's Eulogy

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Message from Mom


 The other day while going through some of mom’s paperwork, I came across a few pieces of paper that mom had written that intrigued me.  The first paper I found was a sheet of white 8 ½ by 11 notebook paper with an affirmation written over and over again. 

A few years after dad passed, mom was diagnosed with clinical depression and bi-polar. I remember teaching mom the power of affirmations.  Telling mom to write over and over the same positive thought. I explained that if she put positive thoughts in her mind instead of negative ones her life would change for the better.  I suggested working on one issue at a time.  This sheet that I found was one of her completed affirmation exercises.
 
 
The first sentence was clearly in my handwriting. I wrote: “I’m getting better and better.  The second sentence is mom’s handwriting and she wrote the same exact affirmation.  However when mom went to write the affirmation down the next time, she changed the affirmation to: ‘Im getting healthier and healthier’.  She finished writing that same affirmation to the end of the page. This exercise must be at least 15 years old as I remember that mom and I sat on her stools next to her island in her kitchen when she lived on her own in her condo.   This paper made me smile remembering how mom would humor me and do the affirmation exercises I would give her.  I remembered how hard I prayed that something would work to help her depression.  I was willing to try anything.

After I put the sheet with the affirmations down and picked up the smaller paper, I came upon something more precious than gold.  I found a note written in pencil on a sheet of paper that appeared to come from a tablet that mom often wrote her grocery list on.  She had written on both sides of the paper.  She did not sign her name.  And the note was not addressed to anyone. 

I do not have any recollection of mom ever showing me this note, although since my brain surgery over eight years ago occasionally there are things I do not seem to remember.  I cannot believe that I would ever forget her heartfelt message. After reading her note I was so stunned that I told no one until yesterday when Jamie came over for lunch.  We had a box of mom’s knick knacks we were going to peruse for sentimental value.

When we were through, I showed Jamie mom’s note.   I asked him if he had ever asked mom to write me a note because sometimes when she treated me poorly or we had an argument Jamie would ask her to be nice to me.  Jamie shook his head no.  He had never seen mom’s note before.  Something Jamie said then resonated with me, “We are looking through this box of trinkets  . . .  This letter trumps anything mom could have left anyone.”

I enjoyed the afternoon with my brother going down ‘Memory Lane’. When he left I read mom’s note again. My eyes filled with tears as I realized that mom wrote this on her own fruition.  Maybe during one of her therapy sessions that she went to several years ago her therapist might have suggested that she write down her feelings, but I will never know for sure.  Either way mom never gave me her note even though she kept it herself. I have to wonder if she hoped I would someday read the words she had written about me.
 
 

Mom’s Note

(I typed her note exactly how mom wrote. I did not change a word or punctuation)

My daughter Julienne was a precious baby a beautiful girl  I was so proud of her, I dressed her up gorgeous.  I love her very much but I think I was very strict with her, now that I am sick and depressed she has been a great help to me between her and Jamie gives me shots; taken me to the doctor; helping me with my bills and bank statement.   I am so grateful to here.

What a wonderful daughter I have, so loving and giving, always there when I need her trying to make me write affirmation on Im having  great night sleep which has worked.  Now I am writing yes I have more pep energy today and appetite.

I love my daughter very much and I am blessed to have here.  If only I could show her by getting to feel well again. 

Jesus my Savior I give myself to you.  Your in charge.  Thanks for everything
 
 
I am not sure why mom could never show me the note. Nevertheless, there is no doubt in my mind, mom and I both always wanted the same thing each other’s love and affection.  Thankfully that is precisely what we received in our last chapter.  God helped me find mom’s note which I will treasure as long as I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment